Human Growth Hormone: Is It Your Real Internal Fountain of Youth? Part 1
By Dr. Erik Fleischman –
Human Growth Hormone (HGH) is the single most important hormone in your body that will influence how fast you will age.
Here’s a few facts about HGH levels:
- HGH production is highest until puberty and then drops 14% per every 10 years.
- HGH may drop 50% every 7 years in adult men.
- In men 60 years old, up to 35% are HGH deficient and will age rapidly.
- In women, a drop in Estrogen (peri-menopause/menopause) causes a drop in natural HGH.
- In both men and women, maintaining proper levels of Testosterone and HGH results in preventing loss of muscle due to aging and preventing the development of extra unwanted and dangerous “belly fat” due to aging.
We’ve all heard of menopause, the time when women’s Estrogen and Progesterone drops.
Many of us have heard of Andropause, the time when men’s Testosterone falls causing weight gain, loss of sex drive, rapid aging and loss of brain power.
There is another important hormone drop called Somatopause. This is the time when HGH drops due to aging as well as a number of preventable causes.
Somatopause results in:
- Loss of vitality and energy
- Age related muscle loss (Sarcopenia)
- Occurrence of frailty
- Development of central belly fat (not only unsightly, but also an increased risk for heart disease)
- Advanced risk of cardiac disease
- Loss of mental clarity and cognitive brain power
Your level of Human Growth Hormone can be determined largely by genetics – does your family “age well.” There are a number of ways to naturally raise levels of HGH and a few ways to supplement HGH as well.
There are also a number of products in pharmacies and online stores that promise to raise HGH levels. I would advise caution on using these as pill forms of HGH really don’t exist nor does the body absorb real HGH through your stomach and GI tract.