By Dr. Erik Fleischman –
Yes, you read that right. I wrote Women and Testosterone Replacement.
Hormone Replacement and Bioidentical Hormone Replacement with Estrogen and Progesterone creams and pills have received a lot of interest for more than 60 years. But what most doctors fail to discuss with their female patients is the importance of replacing the Testosterone that ALSO drops to unhealthy levels in women during and after Menopause.
Most women hear the word Testosterone and picture big hairy men with muscles, thick beards and deep voices. This is not entirely true.
ALL women produce Testosterone at low levels, much lower than men. Testosterone in women has some vitally important functions:
- Bone Health – Low testosterone causes Osteoporosis
- Fertility – Testosterone is being used for women during IVF to increase the number of eggs produced in the ovaries
- Sex Drive – Low Testosterone results in low sex drive in both men AND women
- Vaginal Health – Low testosterone causes vaginal dryness and atrophy of the vaginal tissue which can cause painful or difficult sex
- Fat Production – Low Testosterone results in more belly and visceral fat – which also is a risk factor for heart disease
- Heart Health – Low Testosterone levels are a risk factor for Cardiovascular Disease and heart attack
Any Regenerative Medicine doctor who is evaluating your hormones should include Free and Total Testosterone in the evaluation of any woman considering hormone replacement therapy. The balance of the sex hormones is equally important to the amounts that are safely being replaced. In this evaluation, the doctor should be looking at the whole person and the goals and risks of treatment:
- Do you have any other medical conditions such as heart disease, hypertension or ovarian issues?
- Your family history of Cancer
- The goals of treatment
There are a number of indicators that can lead the doctor to want to check your Testosterone levels. If you have any of these you may want to consider getting a simple blood test:
- Low sex drive
- Weight gain despite good diet and exercise
- Vaginal dryness
- Clouded thinking and loss of focus
Each of these can be an indicator of low Testosterone levels in women and Testosterone replacement therapy with Bio-identical Testosterone Cream can alleviate these issues quite effectively.
Also, treatment can be tailored to the needs of the woman. Bio-identical Testosterone Cream can be used daily, a few times a week or can also just be used safely in the vagina when a woman wants to increase her sex drive as needed. All are effective ways to use Testosterone and have been safely given to women for over 30 years.
As with all treatments, not every one is safe for every patient. To see if you are a candidate for hormone replacement therapy, come see us. It is as simple as a few questions and a blood test to see if these treatments are right for you and your health, happiness and longevity.